The Library is now accepting passport applications during our normal business hours. We will stop services an hour before the Library closes
Our passport acceptance hours are:
Monday - Thursday 10 am to 8 pm
Friday 10 am to 5 pm
Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
The most up-to-date information regarding passport services can be found on the department of state’s website.
You can also schedule an appointment with the local post offices Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Palatine, or Schaumburg here.
We can provide any passport forms you need both in the Library as well as via our Drive Up window.
Passport Application Requirements
Applications may be filled out online at www.travel.state.gov and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications that must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
- Original birth certificate or certified copy issued by the city, county, or state
- For minors under 18, the birth certificate must be presented
- Previous U.S. passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Valid driver's license (or ID)
- Naturalization Certificate
- Prior U.S. passport
- Government employee ID
- Official Military ID card
Adult Applicants (Age 16 and older):
|Passport Book & Card||DS-11||$160|
Child Applicants (Age 15 and younger):
|Passport Book & Card||DS-11||$115|
You may add an expediate fee to any of these choices for an additional $60to speed up the processing time.
For each application, applicants must pay a $35 execution fee to the library. The library accepts cash, check or money order made payable to “Prospect Heights Public Library.” You may combine payments to the library in one check or money order if there is more than one application.
For more information regarding passport fees please check out www.travel.state.gov
A color photo of yourself (2 inches by 2 inches) taken within the last 6 months is also required. The Library does not provide photo services, however, there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as CVS and Walgreens. Review this document for more details and locations.
- As of October 29, routine processing is 8 to 11 weeks and expedite processing (for an additional $60) is 5 to 7 weeks.
- Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at a local acceptance facility.
- We are no longer using door-to-door timeframes to describe routine and expedited service.
- Mail times vary across the country. Plan ahead and apply early.
The most updated information can always be found by visiting the State Department's website.
The Library can not accept mail-in renewal applications. (DS-82)
We encourage you to verify which process you qualify for on the U.S. Department of State's website. travel.state.gov
If you were under 16 when your passport was issued you cannot use a renewal form. Children's passports are reissued using a DS-11 form until the age of 16.
To process your renewal, please visit the State Department's website.
We are also happy to answer any questions you might have by chat, phone, or email.