Internet Subject Guides - Travel Resources
Online travel resources have made the process of planning and learning about destinations much easier. The following resource may help in your travels.
- Family Travel Guides – Family-friendly destination guide for all 50 states plus Canada and the Caribbean. Includes articles on travel.
- Mouse Savers – Your source for every kind of Disney discount available to make your trip affordable.
- Smarter Travel – Started to give consumers a source for independent, objective advice on how to make the best travel decisions.
- Elderhostel – The classic source for the 55+ traveler with all-inclusive learning trips in all 50 states and many foreign countries.
- Eldertreks – Exotic adventure travel for those 50+ who want to go off the beaten path to exotic locations and meet local people.
- Walking The World – Designed for the 50+ traveler, the trips focus on learning the terrain and local culture by walking trips in these areas.
Traveling With Your Pet
- Dog Friendly – Site contains lists of “dog-friendly” attractions, events, beaches, campgrounds, outdoor dining spots in the US and Canada.
- Pets Welcome – Terrific source for accommodations that accept dogs in the US and Canada as well as Great Britain and France.
- Pet Friendly Travel – Accommodations, air travel tips, information on pets in US national parks, off-leash dog parks, and dog beaches.
Special Deals and Spur-of-the-Moment Travel
- Travel Zoo – Clearinghouse of specials and deals featuring 500+ advertisers of travel specials which link you those specific sites to book the deals.
- Go Today – Featuring non-US destinations only, the data is accessed by destination, interest (beach, eco-tourism) and by type (barging, cruising, escorted tours, etc.).
- Club Med – All-inclusive resort vacations for all age groups in the US, Mexico, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean at Club Med locations.
- Apple Vacations – Book online at this site or through a travel agent for trips to the Caribbean, Mexico, the Bahamas, Hawaii, Costa Rica, Europe, and US ski vacations.
- Sandals Resorts – A source for couples-only Caribbean resort vacations, popular with honeymooners.
- Cruise2 – Shows competitive prices on cruises, hotels, tours, and vacation packages which can be booked online.
- Cruise Critic – Lists cruise basics—helpful advice for first-time cruisers--and reviews cruise lines as well as lists cruise bargains.
- Cruise Option – Reviews cruises by cruise line and individual ship and allows online booking.
- Go Camping America – Find a campground by state and city or by campground name and amenities; also get help with trip planning, weather information, and road conditions.
- National Parks Service – National Park Service site with information on individual parks, operating hours and seasons, hiking information, visitors’ centers, fees, and reservations.
- Wheelers Guide – Search for RV parks in the US, Canada, and Mexico with sites rated.
- Traveling Bikers – One-stop resource for information on places to stay, restaurants, tour companies, events for motorcycle travelers.
- Go Chicago – Chicago information for visitors with links to train, bus, and subway schedules and maps, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants, nightlife, visiting Chicago with children.
- Metromix – Events, restaurants, movies, music, theater listings by name, section of the city and suburbs.
- Illinois Department of Tourism – The State Of Illinois official tourist site includes trip planning in Illinois, maps, state attractions by region, festivals.
General Destination Guides
- Lonely Planet – Guide to out-of-the-way destinations with information on attractions, maps, background information, images.
- Travel Offices Worldwide Directory – World-wide directory of tourism offices with addresses and related websites for a country’s tourist agency.
- Fodor’s – Put in a destination and get information on hotels, restaurants, itineraries, attractions, shopping, etc. and book travel on this site via Expedia.
- Government Tourism Information – North Carolina – An example of what a government tourist site offers: what to do, where to stay, where to dine, North Carolina events.
Local Interest Sites
- The House On The Rock – A Madison, Wisconsin tourist attraction since the 1940’s, this is truly a collector’s dream house. Site includes history of the house, the collections, seasonal displays, places to stay, other area attractions, golf packages.
- The World’s Largest Ball Of Twine – Cawker City, Kansas is the home of the world’s largest ball of sisal twine—almost 9 tons in weight and over 7,627,737 feet of twine (and still growing!). A perfect example of a local attraction which can be found by typing the name of the location or town on Google!
All-In-One Sites/Company Sites
- Orbitz – Book hotels, flights, cars, Amtrak tickets, cruises, activities online after you register with the site.
- Expedia – After enrolling as a member on this site you may book flights, hotels, cars, vacation packages, cruises online—includes a corporate travel section.
- Travelocity – Book flights, cars, rail travel, cruises, vacation packages and find out about last-minute deals.
- Kayak –After registering as a member you may enter a chat room with travel deals for members and book flights, hotels, cars, and find last-minute deals.
- Company sites – Use for airlines, car rentals, hotels—usually in the form of (www.companyname.com). Try www.redroofinn.com as an example of a company site to book directly with the company.
- Rick Steves -- Book Rick Steves’ trips online or share tips and trip memories with fellow travelers or listen to Rick Steves’ radio programs and see video clips from his TV shows.
- Travel-Diaries – Membership site where traveler can book hotels, flights, car rentals, cruises and find travel tips and advice from members sharing their stories.
- Travel Blog – Fun site where you can read travel diaries and journals from all parts of the globe and a chat room and travel photos for members to share.
- Accessible Journeys – Travel opportunities for slow walkers and wheelchair travelers featuring small group tours and independent travel throughout the world.
- Disabled Travelers.Com –Gives disabled travelers access to sources of travel opportunities including tour companies, adventure travel companies, equipment rentals, accessible cruise specialists and travel products. Email newsletter of deals and sources of accessible travel. Travelers Community Forum lets members post travel reviews and photos.
- Search Beyond Adventures – Provides escorted tours for adults 17 years+ in the US, Canada, Caribbean, Europe, Asia, and Latin America. Cruises, train tours, theme parks, beaches, dude ranches, camping trips are all-inclusive. Book directly on site after registering.
The library subscribes to these travel-related magazines. Back issues may be checked out.
- Arizona Highways
- Arthur Frommer’s Budget Travel
- Conde Nast Traveler
- Highways : the official publication of the Good Sam Club
- Midwest Living
- National Geographic
- National Parks
- Time Out Chicago
- Travel and Leisure
- Wisconsin Trails
Other Online Resources